Costa Rica is a democratic, politically and socially stable republic. It has a population of 4.5 million, land area of 50000 Sq. Km, Marine Territory of 650000 Sq. Km, and no army by constitution since 1948. It also has sophisticated educational and healthcare systems, which are reflected in a literacy rate of around 96%, longevity rate of around 78 years, and high rankings in various world indexes.
Due to its location and topography, Costa Rica contains the highest density of biodiversity and sub climates in the world. While the country encompasses only 0.1% of the world’s landmass, its ecosystems are home to roughly 5% of the world’s animal and plant species. These ecosystems are largely maintained by the country’s National Parks, which cover more than 30% of the land area and serve as the foundation for its eco and soft adventure tourism.
Tourism in Costa Rica began after President Oscar Arias won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1987, and has been steadily increasing since then with 2.34 million foreign visitors entering the country in 2012. This amount is growing at 7% per year and is estimated to reach a target of 4 million by 2016. The great majority of this influx consists of mostly high-end tourism attracted to its reputation as a prime destination for eco and soft-adventure tourism. According to Travel & Leisure Magazine 2013, Costa Rica has some of the top 50 hotels in the world, with the Four Seasons Papagayo amongst the top 10 resorts in Latin America.
WHY INVEST IN COSTA RICA
- Favourable investment climate - friendly, educated and peaceful population.
- Long established democracy with political and social stability.
- Long established welfare, educational and national park systems.
- Free trade and bilateral investment agreements, with the USA, Canada, EU, China, Singapore, Mexico, Chile, Columbia and others.
- Ranked 3rd on the Yale/Columbia university's environmental performance index
- No Capital Gains on Real Estate Investments
- Costa Rica has been invited to start qualifying to join the OECD in 2015.
- Excellent geographic location, great weather and reasonable infrastructure.
- Established leadership in eco, soft adventure, nature and wholesome tourism.
- Some of the most beautiful, and year-round swimmablee, beaches in the world.
- GDP (PPP) $58.6 billion
- GDP (real growth rate) 4.8%
- GDP per capita (PPP) $12,600
- Low cost of living and taxes
- Special immigration status for investors